Palak paneer is a vegetarian dish, consisting of paneer (a type of cottage cheese) in a thick paste made from pureed spinach. Palak paneer is prepared by first boiling and pureeing spinach. The puree is then mixed with sauted tomatoes and onions. Grilled cubes of paneer are then added to the puree. Palak paneer is typically spiced with ginger, garlic, tomatoes, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder and cumin. Paneer contains high biological value protein and spinach contain Iron, insoluble fibre, soluble fiber. this recipe is good for diabetic, weight loss or any eye related issues.
3–4 cups roughly chopped spinach
1 green chili (deseeded)
1 tsp ginger & garlic paste
1 medium chopped onion
1 medium chopped tomato
1/3 tsp cumin seeds
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chili powder
1/3 tsp garam masala (optional)
1 tej patta
3–5 pc paneer
1 tsp kasuri methi
Salt to taste
1) Rinse spinach leaves in running water. Remove the stems.
2) Boil 3 cups water in a pan, add ½ tsp salt to the hot water and stir. Add spinach leaves and stir. Let the leaves settle in water for a minute.
3) After 3 minutes, strain by reserving the spinach stock.
4) Immediately add spinach leaves in a pan or bowl containing ice cold water which helps preserving the green color of the spinach. Allow the leaves to be in cold water for 5-7 minutes.
5) Drain the leaves and grind to a fine paste with green chili, ginger and garlic.
6) Make a smooth spinach puree and keep it aside.
7) Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add chopped onions and cook till golden brown in color.
8) Add tej patta, chopped ginger and garlic and chopped tomatoes and all the seasonings. Cook till oil separates. Stir well.
9) Add spinach puree and stir well. Add ½ cup water and give it a boil.
10) Cook it for 10 minutes till the gravy thickens.
11) Add paneer cubes to the gravy, stir gently on low flame and stir softly.
12) Serve hot with ginger juliennes on top.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 210 - 220 KCAL
- Fat: 15 - 20 GM
- Carbohydrates: 30 - 35 GM
- Protein: 12 - 15 GM