Mustard greens or Sarson saag is a popular traditional dish in North India. It is found in winters in India.
Mustard greens are incredibly healthy, packed with huge amounts of minerals and vitamins, and are very low in calories. Consuming mustards on a regular basis improves your nutrient consumption and provides energy too.
Mustard greens offer an abundant mixture of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber as well as protein. These are rich source of anti- oxidants like vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and anti-inflammatory agents like – vitamin K and omega 3 fatty acids.
Mustard leaves : 500g
Spinach leaves : 250g
Radish leaves : 250g
Garlic : 3cloves(chopped)
Onion : 2 medium(chopped)
Green chillies (chopped) : 2
Ginger : 2inches piece.
Ghee : 1tbsp
Cumin seeds : 1tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1tsp
Onion : 1 medium(chopped)
Tomato : 1 medium(chopped)
Red chili powder : 1tsp.
- Wash thoroughly, clean, chop the greens. Remove very hard and thick lower ends of the stems. Keep the tender stems.
- Add the washed greens in the pressure cooker.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, ginger and chopped chilies to the greens.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add water just enough to cover the greens and vegetables.
- Cover and pressure cook till 3-4 whistle or till the greens become soft.
- Let the green mixture cool down at the room temperature.
- Add this vegetable mixture in a mixture grinder.
- Add 2tbsp of maize flour to the mixture. This will help making the saag smooth and thick.
- Blend to form a smooth puree.
- Pour the puree in a pan till it simmer for a good 25-30 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally while the saag simmer.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add bay leaf, cumin seeds, cloves, mustard seeds.
- Add onions and sauté till they become translucent.
- Add tomatoes and sauté.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add red chilli powder.
- Add tempering to saag.
- Top it with a dollop of homemade white butter and serve with makki roti.
Sarson saag can be topped with home-made white butter and served with makki (maize flour) roti.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 76.95 Kcal
- Fat: 2.53 g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14.15 g
- Fiber: 6.34 g
- Protein: 6.17 g