Paneer Do Pyaza is a gravy-based Indo-Pakistani Mughlai recipes that use plenty of onions to add both body and flavor, with the onions cooked in two different ways and incorporated into the recipe at different times. Paneer dopiaza is a dish, half the onions are blended into a paste, with aromatic spices, garlic, ginger, and a mild souring agent like tomato or yoghurt (or powdered unripe mango) or lemon/lime in Hyderabadi Cuisine), and briefly cooked with a little oil until fragrant, before the main ingredient is added and the mixture cooked down further to form a thick gravy. The remaining onions are sliced and deep-fried until browned and crisp to serve as a topping, which is added to the dish just before serving.
- 100 gms Paneer (cottage cheese)
- 2medium Onion
- 1 Green Chili, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tspKasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 large Tomato
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Green Cardamom
- 1 small piece of Bay Leaf
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tbsp. Coriander Leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Water
1) Cut paneer into 1-inch cubes. Finely chop tomatoes into puree.
2) Finely chop 1 onion. Cut remaining onion into 4 equal parts and separate its layers. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan and sauté onion layers until light brown. Transfer them to a plate.
3) Heat ½ tsp oil in the same pan. Add cumin seeds, green cardamom and bay leaf, when they begin to sizzle, add chopped onion and sauté until light brown.
4) Add grated ginger garlic paste and green chili; sauté for a minute.
5) Add crushed tomato puree and sauté until oil starts to separate.
6) Add kasurimethi, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, sugar and salt; mix well and cook for 1 minute.
7) Add paneer cubes, shallow fried onions, 1/2 cup water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
8) Transfer prepared sabzi to serving bowl. Garnish paneer do pyaza with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 160 – 170 KCAL
- Fat: 15 – 17 GM
- Carbohydrates: 25 – 30 GM
- Protein: 10 – 12 GM