Chana dal sundal is an protein rich healthy snack especially made as prasad offering during the 9 days of Navratri in South India.
It is quick to make as it requires only 2 hours of soaking as compared to other sundals which requires overnight soaking
- Chana dal- 1/4th cup
- Water to soak and pressure cook
- Green chilli -1/4th tsp
- Coconut grated- 1/2tsp
- Mustard seeds -1/4th tsp
- Curry leaves -2-3
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Rinse thoroughly and Soak the Chana dal in warm water for 1 hour.
COOKING THE CHANA DAL
- In a pan, take the dal and add in 2 ½ water, cover and let it cook on medium flame till the Chana dal becomes soft and cooked.
- Do stir and check in between till the dal gets cooked.
- Drain off all the water and keep the cook dal aside
MAKING OF THE CHANADAL SUNDAL:
- In a pan, heat the oil and add mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves. Let it splutter for few minutes
- Add in the cooked Chana dal and salt as per taste.
- Mix well and simmer it more for 2-3 minutes. If there is any liquid retained in Chana dal then cook till moisture dries up.
- Switch off the flame, garnish with grated coconut and serve hot.
- You can alternatively pressure cook the dal, as it is soaked well just 1 whistle works well
- Make sure you do not over pressure cook, it may turn mushy.
- You can use red chillies instead of green chillies
- Serving Size: 1
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: healthy snacks, protein rich, south indian cuisine